Are you frustrated with brushing your child’s teeth? We understand that brushing comes with lots of attitude and drama. Let us help! Scroll down for an instructional brushing video along with a few extra tips to get you started. Combine these with bi-annual visits to Kids Teeth for a healthy smile at any age.
Instructional brushing video, ages 5-8:
Additional brushing tips:
- Assist brushing when possible, especially at night since this is when cavities grow the most.
- Use a pea size amount of toothpaste on the toothbrush.
- Brush from behind following a routine pattern. Brush the outer surface, inner surfaces, and chewing surfaces of the teeth with small circular motions.
- Make sure to clean at the gum line with the brush at a 45-degree angle.
- Aim for a full two minutes:
- use a toothbrush with a timer or light feature to help them understand the proper length of time.
- sing/listen to a two minute song.
- watch a two minute video.
- make a game out of brushing – attack the cavity bugs.
- Don’t forget to brush their tongue.
- Be sure to assist with nightly flossing. Using a floss handle in the back and sliding the floss up and down the in between surfaces of the teeth. Many children get their first cavities in between back teeth at these young ages.
Important Note: Brush AFTER they eat breakfast in the morning and help them avoid snacking after they brush at night. Remember, the point of cleaning is to get the food off of the teeth.
Are you ready to learn more about caring for your child’s teeth? Give us a call to schedule their next appointment or fill out our online appointment request. We look forward to seeing you soon!
Follow the links below to view all of our instructional brushing videos: